Lincoln Memorial University is a private, independent, non-sectarian University with a clearly defined mission that distinguishes it from other educational institutions. While the University cherishes its heritage and rich traditions, it recognizes that dynamic growth and change are required to meet the needs of today’s students. The University has identified the following institutional goals, which are derived from its mission and reflect its vision for the future:
- Make educational opportunities available to all persons without reference to social status. The University seeks to maximize enrollment by strengthening recruitment efforts and increasing student retention through the creation of an academic and social environment that facilitates success and rewards achievement.
- Maintain fiscal integrity in all its activities, programs and operations through concerted efforts to continuously increase its endowment and financial standing.
- Provide quality educational experiences that have their foundation in the liberal arts and professional studies, promote high personal standards and produce graduates with relevant career skills to compete in an ever-changing, increasingly global market.
- Advance the Cumberland Gap and Appalachian region through community service programs in continuing education, healthcare, leadership development, recreation and the fine and performing arts.
- Serve as a critical educational, cultural, and recreational center for the area, and to develop and maintain facilities, which are safe, accessible, and conducive to the development of body, mind and spirit.
- Attract and retain a diverse and highly qualified faculty and staff, committed to teaching, research and service.
- Commit resources to support the teaching, research, and service role of the Institution.
- Support faculty and staff development programs with priority for allocation of resources determined by institutional needs.
- Increase technology for all educational sites. Specifically, the University seeks to continuously improve its computer and other technological resources for faculty, staff and students.
- Develop and implement academic programs in response to anticipated or demonstrated educational need, and to continuously evaluate and improve the effectiveness of current programs.
- Provide a caring and nurturing environment where students, faculty and staff with varied talents, experiences and aspirations come together to form a diverse community that encourages students to grow intellectually and personally to meet their academic and career goals.
- Provide quality educational opportunities through selected degree programs for students who live or work a significant distance from the Lincoln Memorial University main campus, and for whom other options are not as accessible or satisfactory.